|Kotter’s 8-Step Change Model
Kotter is one of the pre-eminent thought leaders when it comes to change management and elements of his model are often evident in other methodologies.
- Create Urgency
- Form a Powerful Coalition
- Create a Vision for Change
- Communicate the Vision
- Remove Obstacles
- Create Short-Term Wins
- Build on the Change
- Anchor the Changes in Corporate Culture
Mind Tools’ Overview – describes each of the steps and specific actions to execute within them.
Kotter’s Insight – Kotter shares common sources of project failure that parallel the 8 steps of his model.
One of the most widely utilized models, Prosci’s ADKAR model outlines the progression of an individual’s attitude towards change:
The model also specifies change management strategies that can be utilized to move employees from one stage to the next.
- Awareness of the need for change
- Desire to participate and support the change
- Knowledge on how to change
- Ability to implement required skills and behaviors
- Reinforcement to sustain the change
Prosci’s ADKAR Training – a succinct and insightful training that introduces the ADKAR stages and associated change management strategies.
Book: AKDAR: A Model for Change in Business, Government, and our Community by Jeffrey Hiatt